Preskoči na sadržaj

Legal

Weather & Safety Cancellation Policy

Last updated: May 2026

If wind, sea state, or marine weather make a trip unsafe, we cancel — at our discretion as the licensed operator. It costs you nothing and we reschedule within your stay if you prefer. No questions, no fees.

1. Why we may cancel

The Adriatic looks calm in postcards, but real weather windows in the central Dalmatian channels can shift fast. Bura (north-east), Jugo (south-east), and afternoon thunderstorms can turn a planned 32-knot cruise into an uncomfortable or unsafe day on the water. We monitor official MetCroatia and Pomorska Meteorološka Služba forecasts plus realtime sea-state radar; if conditions exceed our safety thresholds, we cancel.

2. Our safety thresholds

We cancel or shorten the trip if forecast or realtime conditions show: sustained wind above 25 knots (Beaufort 6); significant wave height above 1.5 m for crossings, above 1.0 m for Blue Cave/Vis open-sea routes; thunderstorm activity within 30 NM with lightning within 10 NM; harbour port-master closure (zatvoreno za plovidbu); reduced visibility below 1 NM (fog, heavy rain). The skipper has final authority on the day.

3. When we make the call

We make weather decisions 12–24 hours before departure based on the most recent forecast, and re-confirm in the morning of the trip. If we cancel, you receive a WhatsApp message and an email immediately — never a surprise at the marina. For multi-day stays, we usually offer to reschedule for a calmer day in your trip dates.

4. What a weather cancellation costs you

Nothing. We take no deposit and no prepayment, so there is no refund to chase, no processing fee and no rebooking fee. If you prefer, we hold the trip open for a calmer day within your stay.

5. Partial cancellation (curtailed trip)

If conditions deteriorate mid-trip and we have to return early for safety, you pay only for the time on the water — pro-rated against the day rate. We never charge full price for a curtailed day.

6. Your right to cancel

If you choose to cancel for non-weather reasons (change of plans, flight issues, illness), just tell us as early as you can. There is nothing to refund, because nothing is paid in advance; a message the day before lets us offer the slot to someone else.

7. Decision process

Weather calls are made by the skipper holding the day's trip — both skippers hold Croatian commercial licences (Voditelj brodice C kategorije) and STCW Basic Safety Training. The decision is never about lost revenue; it is always about whether the day will be safe and enjoyable. If in doubt, we postpone.

8. Trip insurance recommended

While we handle weather risk on our side, we strongly recommend personal travel insurance for non-refundable elements of your trip (accommodation, flights, other tours). Most travel insurance covers "adverse weather affecting prepaid activities" with proof of cancellation, which we provide on request.

Questions about this document?

Reach out at hello@splitspeedboat.com or via WhatsApp. We'll reply within 1 hour during season hours.

Send a message →
Ask on WhatsApp